Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Ten Most Exciting Moments In Rock'n'Roll

 
Okay, I'm sure everyone's got their own list of exciting moments, and I encourage anyone to post their own faves and refute mine. And along the way, we'll test the limits of what is, or isn't, rock'n'roll. But that said, here we go...
 
11. Come on, come on now…- The Doors, "Touch Me" (The Soft Parade): Okay, so my Top Ten list goes to eleven. Blame Spinal Tap. In the years since Jim Morrison's death, his legend as a poet-shaman has overshadowed what great pop instincts the band had. "Touch Me"'s long, pounding intro builds to a crescendo, then abruptly stops, giving Morrison a clean shot at nailing his vocal entrance. Which he does, right to the wall. (And stick around for the killer sax solo on the outro.)
 
10. It's…alive! - Aerosmith, "Train Kept A'Rollin'" (Get Your Wings): Steven, Joe and the boys do a nice, heavy, medium-tempo studio version of the Yardbirds' classic on their sophomore LP. THEN, as the seeming last note fades, Joey Kramer starts a drum roll, Joe and Brad do train-whistle bends on their Strats, and ambient crowd noise lets us know we're now in the front row of a kick-ass concert. The band enters, double time, and do the Yardbirds, and themselves, wicked proud. I got to see Aerosmith on this tour (in the gym at Bowling Green State U. in Ohio, my first real concert) and I'm still out of breath.
 
Honorable mention: Jackson Brown uses the same technique to great effect on Danny O'Keefe's "The Road" on Running On Empty: just before hook in the 2nd chorus, there's a pause, and we transition from the tour bus rehearsal take to that night's show. Kinda breathtaking, in a quiet Jackson Brown kind of way.
 
9. In the Pocket of the Gods - Led Zeppelin, "In My Time of Dyin'" (Physical Graffiti): There's a point, about 9/10s of the way through Zep's fully developed, every-permutation-explored arrangement of the ancient blues tune (which also shows up on Dylan's first album), where the band finally plays the riff in unison. All out. After ten minutes of serious jamming, they're totally in each other's pockets. Take notes, us mere mortals.
 
8. Power POP - The Raspberries, "Go All the Way." The problem with the Raspberries, as opposed to say Badfinger or Big Star, the other gods of power pop, is that while the latter bands have the outlook of (young) men, shading their music with nuance and subtlety and a certain wariness, the 'berries are clearly emotional teenagers, with all the dizzying highs and lows and second-to-second volatility their out-of-control hormones demand. Which is what makes "Go All the Way" so immediate - the crunchy guitar intro is the perfect balance of clean and dirty, and the ascending "come on"'s on the bridge are the perfect distillation of a lifetime of virginity about to be gloriously transcended. This is what love at 14 feels like. (Or did when I was 14.)
 
7. Ho-oh! - Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run" (Born to Run): Bruce has described Born to Run as his attempt to make a record that sounded like it was written by Dylan, produced by Phil Spector, and sung by Roy Orbison. I actually prefer the casual looseness of his first two albums, but if his goal here was to make music that sounded mythic, he certainly succeeded, never more than on the title track. Halfway through each verse, he adds a two-syllable "oh," his voice almost (but not quite) breaking, and that hint of vulnerability lifts a self-consciously melodramatic lyric to the level of high, timeless art.
 
Honorable mention: Later in the same song, there are a few measures of catch-your-breath vamping after the harmonically-all-over-the-place bridge. Then, buried in the mix, we hear Bruce summon the most exciting lyric in rock'n'roll: "One two three four!"
 
6. Spill It All Over the Stage - Joe Cocker, "With a Little Help from My Friends" (Woodstock): To quote John Belushi, as Cocker (from the National Lampoon show "Lemmings"):
I was makin' musical history
Now I'm workin' for Muscular Dystrophy
That Joe Cocker is even still alive must be the 3rd most unlikely event in the history of popular music (behind Keith Richards, same deal, and the fact that somebody gave the Bay City Rollers a record contract). But he was certainly alive in '69 at Woodstock, singing his slowed down, amped up version of Sgt. Pepper's "With a Little Help from My Friends." By the time he gets to the second bridge, he dispenses with the lyric, and just wails "Waaaahhhh!" His voice is so thick and harmonically complex, he seems to hit every note on the scale simultaneously.
 
5. Stop the world we want to get off… - David Bowie, "Rock'n'roll Suicide," (The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars): Bowie wrote two great songs about suicide the same year, so he gave one to Mott the Hoople. The one he kept starts as a relatively simple almost folky ballad, then gradually saxes and cellos come in, keys start changing, and pretty soon knives are lacerating our brain, building up to full stop, which David fills with three words: "You're not alone." Lemme tell you, if you were a closet glam living in Findlay, Ohio in 1973, those were three pretty fuckin' important words.
 
Honorable mention: On the David Live version, the song builds as above, then just when everybody's expecting David to go over the top, he WHISPERS "you're not alone."
 
4. Life without skin - Janis Joplin, "Piece of My Heart" (Cheap Thrills) / "Get It While You Can" (Pearl). Janis Joplin, like Judy Garland before her, sang as if she had none of the innate defense mechanisms that allow you and I to move through the world without weeping or shouting every second of every day at the pain and joy all around us. I don't know any more about Janis than what I've read on the album covers (or maybe imagined from seeing Bette Midler in The Rose), but it's not a surprise to me that anyone who burned so brightly burned so briefly. But from her music, I am left marveling at how exposed a human heart can be. (BTW, I am a confirmed atheist, from 9th grade or so. When Borders Books & Music went out of business a few years back, I bought a pile of half-price CDs, then in the check-out line noticed a copy of Cheap Thrills I'd missed. I was way over my limit, so I left it behind. Then on the way home I had a clear vision of meeting Janis in heaven, and her saying, "Six bucks? You wouldn't buy my record for a lousy six bucks?" I went back and bought it, just in case.)
 
3. The Scream - The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again" (Who's Next). The Who deserve their own list of most exciting moments: Entwistle's bass fills on "My Generation," Moon's drum fills on "Bargain," Townsend kicking the cop who was trying to get them to stop their concert for a security announcement right in the nuts. But for my money, the greatest scream in all of rock'n'roll (aside from the cop's) belongs to Roger Daltrey at the climax of the extended instrumental break of "Won't Get Fooled Again." He's screaming "YEAH!" at the top of his lungs, at the top of his range, and trails down at least an octave before he's done. Tension, tension, tension, RELEASE. I was once hanging out in Keely Sims' dorm room at about 3 AM, and Who's Next was playing softly on the stereo. At the proper moment I reached over and twisted the volume knob all the way up. Very satisfying.
 
2. Ta-da-da Ta-da-da Ta-da-da Ta-da-da Ta! Elvis Presley, "Hound Dog." John Lennon once said, "Before Elvis there was nothing." He was wrong of course, but in Liverpool in the mid-'50s Lennon had no way of hearing all the rhythm'n'blues race records that had come before. Even in America it took a white boy with greased hair (and greased hips) to get us to listen to our own indigenous music. "Hound Dog," originally a hit for Big Mama Thorton, was Presley's break-through, and D.J. Fontana's triplet snare hits at the end of each verse are what put it over the top. The rockingest record of its time.
 
Honorable mention: For some of those great black R&B sides, check out Night Train to Nashville, which contains the original "Baby Let's Play House" (covered by Presley) and "Anna" (covered by the Beatles).
 
1. One Two Three FOUR - The Beatles, "I Saw Her Standing There". I was only five when Paul sang "She was just seventeen" but I knew exactly what he meant. As straight-ahead rockin' as the Beatles ever got (on an original; those great Larry Williams and Little Richard covers don't count), and still good, clean, melodic fun. Paul starts it off with a count-off that promises all the excitement the song delivers, in a cool Liverpool accent to boot. When I watched the Beatles Anthology TV shows with my friend Daniele in the '90s, she started screaming at the TV just like it was 1964.
 
Honorable mention: Ringo's 5-hit drum fill after the guitar break in "I Feel Fine." The only moment in music that makes me even happier than Paul's count off.
 
Other honorables I just have to mention:
 
Derek & the Dominoes, "Layla"  Cream, Eric Clapton's '60s band, were virtuosos, but I never felt emotionally drawn in by their music. On "Layla," however (the original studio version, not his unplugged remake), Clapton sounds completely fucked up and desperate, resulting in one of the most moving pieces of music, ever.
 

Sly & The Family Stone, "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)"  The funkiest song by the funkiest band ever. Check out the rhythm guitar/horn break after the 2nd verse (and the bass line throughout the song). Note we are talking about the single, not the slow-motion heroin-coma trance version on There's a Riot Goin' On.

 
Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"  I should explain that after my band Loose Ties broke up in 1987 I stopped listening to rock'n'roll for a number of years, especially new bands, on the theory that they had somehow gotten the record contract meant for us. Then I heard folksinger Jim Infantino sing an acoustic version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" around a campfire. Even acoustically, I could tell something was happening. Nirvana does it pretty good too.
 
The Grassroots, "Let's Live for Today"  The world's greatest SUNG count-off, incorporated right into the melody of the song - one, two, three-ee, four-or, lifting a two-chord repetitive melody to anthemic proportions. Also covered by the Lords of the New Church in the '80s (but I'm stickin' to the original).
 
Hall & Oates, "She's Gone"  The most telegraphed punch in the history of music - 3 consecutive half-step key changes, leading to Daryl's big "she's gone-on-on-on-on-on oh-oh-oh why" moment, but he pulls it off.
 
The Eagles, "Hotel California" (Hell Freezes Over)  I know, I know. The Eagles, the most jaded group in the history of LA-bloated music biz-laid back-excess, anywhere near a list of most exciting anything?? BUT, on this live "unplugged" version of their mega-hit, when Don Felder and Joe Walsh finally play the tandem ascending riff s at the end of the solo, on nylon string acoustic guitars no less, it is, god help me, exciting.
 
Howard Huntsberry, "Lonely Teardrops"  Huh? Who? Side two of the La Bamba soundtrack included some gems not sung by Los Lobos-as-Richie Valens, including this killer cover of Jackie Wilson's "Lonely Teardrops." I'd never heard of Howard either, or have ever heard of him again, but as the band vamps at the end of the tune Howard keeps reaching for, and nailing, higher and higher notes. A truly amazing performance. [Honorable mention to honorable mention: Marshall Crenshaw-as-Buddy Holly singing "Crying Waiting Hoping," on the same record.]
 
Smith, "Baby It's You"  Though not in Joplin's league, Gayle McCormick, lead singer of one-hit wonders Smith, has a great Janis-esque moment on the last chorus of their version of Burt Bacharach's "Baby It’s You" (which was also covered by the Beatles early on).
 
Phil Collins, "In the Air Tonight"  Three-quarters of the way through this atmospheric confessional, Collins lets loose an extended, processed drum fill that sounds like John Bonham through a synth-flange-echo chamber. Not only does it make the song suddenly matter, I'd say sonically speaking it's the moment when the '70s gave way to the '80s.
 
Jimi Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower"  Jimi's version of Dylan's "Watchtower" is a veritable catalog of cool guitar tricks, from slide-wah-echoes, to tandem octaves, to rhythmic hammer-ons. Just before the 3rd verse there's an insane bent-pentatonic fill I spent a year at guitar school trying to learn.
 
Rolling Stones, "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'"  The world's greatest rock'n'roll band, only an honorable mention?? I should say I am a huge fan, and consider their Jimmy Miller-produced LPs and singles (Beggars Banquet up through Exile, including "Sympathy for the Devil," "Gimme Shelter," "Moonlight Mile," etc.) THE gold standard of rock music. But choosing one single moment that I'd call as exciting as the ones above…a tough call, maybe because even as kids Jagger & Co. seemed a little too cool to show all their cards. So let me point out a great Keith moment: at the end of the first chorus of "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," the band pauses, and Keith does a down-and-dirty double-stop fill that would make Chuck Berry weep with pride. Then stick around because Bobby Keyes and Mick Taylor strut their stuff in an extended jam. But that's one for the next list…
 
OK! Feel free to post your own list, and I will compile a People's Choice version and post it in a week or two. Til then…one, two, three, FOUR!

13 comments:

Deede said...

I don't have the background to speak as articulately as you on the subject. For me, the greatest moments fall into two categories- the moments that have a personal connection to my life. And the moments where an artist did something unexpected (and by that I do not mean breaking guitars.)

1. Born to Run makes both of our lists. Born to Run is woven into my deepest friendships, the highest highs and the lowest lows of college. I would say that Thunder Road and Jungleland are better than Born to Run, but there is not a single song on that album I would not claim with my heart.

2. Van Morrison- Listen to the Lion. This song is the first time I fell in love. It is the warm strong arms of the man who loved me, and the words he whispered to me in the candlelight.

3. Thriller and Beat It, and all of the early happy upbeat Beatles- For 30 years that I have been teaching, the music of Michael Jackson and the music of the Beatles have been a constant. Every kids knows them. Truly! To this day I watch kids act out the Thriller video and kids Twist and Shout.

4. Elton John- Funeral for Friend. For emotions and times that match the title. It drags you through hell. But you kind of need to go there.

5.... Ack. I need to go to bed. Must finish this another time!

Will Rhodin said...

Terry -Really well thought out stuff!

This year we've been rebuilding our LP collection. I've reading lots of books on rock and roll and then honing in on the records. So many records including Ziggy Stardust, Revolver, Pet Sounds (in mono), Who's Next, all full of great moments and amazing back stories!

Pretty much skipped over the past 45 years was the amazing Beach Boys (really Brian Wilson's creation) only recently released Smile. It was so far out that it was even too far out in the 60's and the record company thought no one would get it!

Beatles (and many other bands) engineers Geoff Emerick and Ken Scott's books gave amazing perspectives on the early days at Abbey Road. Both of them worked (separately - interestingly they are rivals and don't really speak to this day) on Beatles albums as teenagers (16 years old)! I met Ken Scott this year. He also produced Ziggy and many other key classic rock albums. He was right there for many great moments in rock.

The Wrecking Crew was also right there for many top moments in pop and rock and roll, and no one even knew it at the time! No credits on the albums and many the instruments of the hits we know were played by them!

I love Born to Run but still like Darkness on the Edge of Town even better.

You mention Mott the Hoople in your blog. Now that is a great band, definitely.

Keep up the great work!

Will



Linda said...

The moment that I remember is the one when we saw Devo for the first time, when they appeared on Saturday Night Live in their flowerpot hats, so weird that, even on a show dedicated to weirdness, everyone seemed shocked into silence for a moment. And there we were, watching this in the middle of the night in a darkened bedroom, amazed by the bizarreness of it all. If Devo could do something so unlike everything we’d known to be a musical performance before, then anything was possible.

I don’t usually read ten best lists, but I figured that a list of your most exciting moments in rock and roll had to be interesting, and it is.

Brice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brice said...

Wow. Great list. I'm going to have to ponder this. These can be monumental, shared-cultural-experience moments, or very personal you-had-to-be-there moments.

When I first saw what the topic was, the thing that popped into my head was "the scream" by Daltry just before the "Meet the new boss" line at the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again". So I'm with you on that one, for sure.

I'm also a big fan of "Layla" (the song, and the entire album) so, yeah. Hendrix on "Watchtower"? Hell yeah.

"Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" rocked my world - still does. Still, I might have to say that, for me, the most thrilling single moment in the Stone's catalog is Merry Clayton wailing "Rape, murder!" in the middle of "Gimme Shelter". Thrilling! It still gives me chills.

Some are a little more personal. The opening chord and the first lines of "A Hard Day's Night". Many Beatle's moments. Some are thrilling in a way, but not what you'd call "exciting" - like when the Sgt Pepper reprise gives way to "A Day In The Life." Or when the sax section comes in on a unison with the lead guitar on "Lady Madonna".

How about Justin Hayward's final lead guitar entrance in the coda of "The Story In Your Eyes"? A thing like that can thrill a 13-year-old would-be guitarist all the way down to his socks.

Other moments aren't really moments in songs - they are moments in history, moments when you say to yourself, "Oh wow. Things Are Different Now." I felt that way when I heard the first Pretenders' album. The entire thing was an "exciting moment" - one of many in a two-year span that changed things for me, personally, quite a lot.

Cindy said...

I'm with you on #1. The Beatles sang on the Ed Sullivan Show on my 7th birthday. I watched it on our black and white TV set in Bayside, Queens, and thought, this is the best birthday present, ever!

Anonymous said...

Your musical taste and knowledge are broader and deeper than mine, but I can certainly second your opinions of 1 and 3.

I can add my own eccentric choices, in no particular order:

1. Warren Zevon, "His hair was perfect!" (Werewolves of London)

2. Johnny Cash shouting "all right!" on "Get Rhythm."

3. It's hard to pick a single Devo moment because they had so many, but I do like the final riff on "Jocko Homo."

4. Cash again, playing harmonica on "Orange Blossom Special."

5. Everything about Joan Jett on "Everyday People."

6. A lovely little rendition of "Peggy Sue" sung in a car by Gary Busey et. al. in "The Buddy Holly Story."

&. Lux Interior stinking up his falling-down vinyl pants on "Tear It Up."

7. Blondie's entire first album was a bombshell for me, a real musical ear-opener, but the number I go back to hear over and over again is "Sunday Girl." Debbie Harry could combine romance and toughness in her delivery better than any other female rock vocalist.

8. The way Jagger screams "I can't GET NO" on "Satisfaction."

9. "Catholic Girls" by Zappa. ALL of it, especially the lyrics and the way Zappa lisps the title line.

10. I don't know if this is rock or not, but I'll always remember Nancy Griffith singing "Little Love Affairs" with the Chieftains.

--Allan

Terry Kitchen said...

Hey - I was reminded by a friend in Easton, PA (where I grew up) that it was BIG deal when Billy Joel came to sing his song 'Allentown' back in 1983. The concert was actuallly at Lehigh, in Bethlehem, one town over. He sang 'Allentown' twice - to open the show, then again as his 3rd encore. Thanks Billy!

Peter Marston said...

10 most exciting moments in rock 'n' roll or the 10 moments that most excited me? I will only speak to the latter to innoculate myself from judgment or critique.

In no order:

1. John Lennon singing "behave yourself" in the Beatles cover of Larry Williams' "Bad Boy." Extra exciting because the original is so off-putting.

2. The opening chorus of "The Modern World" by the Jam. Retread Mod never sounded any better.

3. The guitar solo in the Rubinoos' "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend." Learned and performed for me by Jim Kerman, roadie for my college band.

4. The breath effects at the beginning of the Zombies' "Time of the Season." The ones on the Beatles' "Come Together" are exciting, too!

5. "A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom" (spellings variant) from Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti." An obvious choice, but no less deserving.

6. The transition from the intro to the first verse in Mott the Hoople's "All the Way to Memphis." One of my favorite tension-building moments in rock. The chorus is great, as well.

7. The isolated drum fill in the intro of Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World." If you know it, I need not explain. If you don't, I would sound like a nut.

8. The bass work by Herbie Flowers on David Essex's "Rock On." Oh, and Klaus Voormann's on Harry Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire" is almost as good.

9. The bridge in the Archies' "Sugar Sugar." Could be the purest moment of pop of all time.

10. The fade out of "Overnight Sensation" by the Raspberries. Just wanted to show that endings are important, too.

Hey, Terry--thanks for getting me thinking and listening back to some of these!

Anonymous said...

Great list, Pete! (and Brice and Allan and Deede) I definitely second 'Rock On' - Loose Ties covered it in the '80s. And nice to see someone else admit to remembering the Raspberries. Fun to see what's impacted people - The Moody Blues, more than just a slow dance at the prom, Joan Jett before she was Kristin Stewart... Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,

This was a great read! Thank you!

I don't quite have the extensive knowledge that you posses with regards to music but I have "wracked my brain" (pun intended ...do you remember that song from Ringo, written by George?) and have come up with a few moments that impacted me as I was growing up. These are not in any particular order.

1. The drum drop to open The Monkees show and debut album! I have always loved The Monkees ... Yes! This was one the most exciting moments in Rock n' Roll!
2. The drumming to open the song "Rock n' Roll" by Led Zeppelin ... this track blew me away when I was 10 years old or so ...
3. When I was about 8 or 9 years old I heard for the first time "The Beatles Second Album". The first guitar licks from George on "Roll Over Beethoven". Wow! I was hooked.
4. My Sharona... guitar intro
5. Walk This Way ...guitar riff
6.The intro to "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo"
7. When The Beatles Played on the roof!
8. The Who stealing the show at the 911 Concert

I can't think of any more right now!!! ;-)

Steve Chelmsford, Host of "The Mop Tops and The King"

slyness said...

Wow, great moments, all. The Hendrix version of "Watchtower" would come in somewhere around first; after that, I don't know, the original Jackie Wilson "Lonely Teardrops"? And that gets me started on Van Morrison, say "Wild Night". "Layla" for sure. And surely something from Spector, how about "He's a Rebel"? Goosebumps. "Chain Gang" from the Pretenders, there's a great moment. Devo, yeah. The burned-out trumpets introducing Stevie Wonder's "Uptight".

Terry Kitchen said...

Ok, a quick tab of contributors’ comments reveals more than one vote (in addition to mine) for:

- Beatles [early records, Revolver, Hard Day’s Night, A Day in the Life, Lady Madonna, on Ed Sullivan, Bad Boy, Come Together, Roll Over Beethoven, roof concert]
- Springsteen [Thunder Road, Jungleland, Darkness on the Edge of Town]
- Devo [flowerpots, Jocko Homo]
- Mott the Hoople [All the Way from Memphis]
- The Who [Won’t Get Fooled Again, 9/11 concert]
- Derek & the Dominos [Layla]
- Jimi Hendrix [All Along the Watchtower]
- Rolling Stones [Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction]
- Van Morrison [Listen to the Lion, Wild Night]
- Johnny Cash [Get Rhythm, Orange Blossom Special]

A pretty good list! And who would have thought Ohio's own Devo would rate more mentions that the Stones?? Thanks for playing, and until next time... terry k