Sunday, June 2, 2013

PISCES, AQUARIUS, CAPRICORN & KITCHEN



            I had just turned 8 when the Monkees' TV show debuted in September of 1966. I was already a Beatles fanatic (Beatles '65 remains on the very short list of things guaranteed to make me happy, and seeing A Hard Day's Night in first grade was probably the second-most formative event in my life), but I was not a purist, and I embraced the pre-fab 4 along with the rest of my third grade class. It helped that the music was generally good - "Last Train to Clarksville" had a killer guitar riff, and the two-finger Vox organ hook of "I'm a Believer" still jumps out of the speakers - and the goofy vibe of the show picked up where A Hard Day's Night and Help left off. I won't argue that the Monkees made high art, but they made some great pop records that still sound just as good today.

            So, it gives me great pleasure to say that I am included on A Lowbudget Barrel of Monkees, a new tribute CD assembled by Tim Casey of Boston-based Lowbudget Records. The album includes 18 Monkees songs interpreted by Boston artists, including both their hits and some deep cuts. I'm actually on the album twice, once with my band Loose Ties' ska version of "For Pete's Sake" (the closing credits music of the later shows), and with my own version of "I'm a Believer" (written by Neil Diamond, it remains the height of bubblegum). Other highlights include some great Mike Nesmith tunes (the band's most consistent songwriter), Bird Mancini's "Clarksville" and Tim'sWalrus-influenced "Porpoise Song."
 
 

            You can hear a preview of the album, and order both digital and physical copies at http://lowbudgetrecords.com/pages/A%20Lowbudget%20Barrel%20of%20Monkees.html
or get a copy right from me. There's even a bonus disc of Surround Sound mixes.

            Enjoy being 8 years old again!


5 comments:

peggy said...

I just listened to the CD yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course I rocked out to For Pete's Sake -- you Loose Ties guys always did a great job with that --and I knew I'd like the classic I'm a Believer -- but I'd forgotten how much I loved The Door into Summer and Magnolia Sims. What fun! And, the version of (I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone was really fresh. Thanks so much for this musical treat!

Anonymous said...

We should also point out that the actual LP 'Pisces Aquarius Capricorn & Jones LTD.' is as good as the Monkees got, from the Carole King-penned 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' to the hard-edged jangle of 'Love is Only Sleeping' to Davy's rockingest vocal on 'She Hangs Out.' One of the best LPs of 1967 from anybody.

Brian Middleton said...

I agree that "Pisces Aquarius" was their magnum opus, and can stand without embarrassment next to some of the classics of that era. Great arrangements and performances--especially from Nesmith, who has a number of stellar vocal numbers, including my favorite Monkees track, "The Door into Summer" (my old band, the Rafters, covered this one back in the early 90s). "What Am I Doing Hangin' Round" is another gem that doesn't get heard or played often enough.

Anonymous said...

Brian was too shy to mention you can hear The Rafters version of 'Door Into Summer' at
http://therafters.bandcamp.com/track/the-door-into-summer-2

Also worth noting that the other guitarist in the Rafters was Brice Buchanan, who was also in Terry's 80s band Loose Ties.

Anonymous said...

I was born in '61 so I was 5 years old when The Monkees made their TV debut...quick thoughts on The Monkees ... I love them! ... my older sister would get mad when I would say The Monkees were better than The Beatles (I was only 5) ... but the quality of the their music was fantastic ... 4 #1 albums in a row ... they owned 1967 ... who cares who played the bass or the tambourine!!?? Who cares who wrote the songs!!?? (they did write quite a few) They made great music ... they influenced countless artists to follow ... I know some people think the R&R HoF is some what of a sham, but it is an absolute outrage The Monkees are not included!!! ... and now with Davy gone it's a little too late for him to enjoy what they truly deserve ... I hope they finally do the right thing and give The Monkees their proper due!!

~Steve Chelmsford, Host of "The Mop Tops and The King" Radio Show
www.themoptopsandtheking.com