Saturday, December 1, 2012

New CD EP! - Terry Kitchen & Mara Levine



Back in 2008, I did a gig in New Jersey with my NJ folksinger friends Spook Handy and Arlon Bennett. They both were joined by the same harmony singer, who in addition to having a great voice had a tasteful sense of what to add to each song. After the show I made a point of telling her how much I enjoyed her performance. She said her name was Mara Levine, and offered to back me up next time I was in the area. I was smart enough to say yes, and a couple weeks later she joined me for a few songs at the Minstrel Coffeehouse in Morristown. A few weeks after that she joined me for a whole set at the People’s Voice Cafe in NYC. Since then we've performed together whenever I'm down from Boston, with me accompanying her on some songs as well as her accompanying me.

This past summer we had the chance to record a few of our favorite songs together, and the result is a new 4-song CD, Terry Kitchen & Mara Levine. It includes Mara's beautiful rendition of my song "A Perfect Rose," duet versions of my songs "One by One (Song for Trayvon Martin)" and "The Favor," and my accompanying Mara on the Gershwin classic "Summertime."

The CD was orignally intended as a promotional item for radio and the 2012 NERFA folk conference, but we have a few copies left, so if you want one (just in time for Christmas...) please visit my webpage at
www.terrykitchen.com/discography.php (and bonus points if you request us from your favorite folk rado station). We'll also be appearing together in 2013 (at the Buttonwood Tree in CT on 3/8 as well as other shows) so hope to see you then!

                                                                                                  Happy Holidays,
                                                                                                  terry k 

1 comment:

Deede said...

I was lucky enough to meet Mara and hear her harmonizing with Terry this summer at Falcon Ridge. Beautiful!

To top it off, she is a lovely and entertaining human being to spend a stormy afternoon in a tent with!

Congrats on the EP, Terry!